Salim Virani, M.D.
Staff Cardiologist, Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Basic Research Interests:
Dr. Virani’s research interests include the use of novel lipid parameters and biomarkers for both primary and secondary prevention. He has published in the peer-reviewed journals on topics including the impact of high fat meals as markers of endothelial damage, utility of statin use in acute coronary syndromes and the perioperative setting. His recent work along with Dr. Ballantyne on the platelet chemokines (RANTES) shows its association with markers of carotid atherosclerosis. He is currently working on the utility of novel lipid parameters to see whether these are associated with development of high risk (vulnerable) plaques. Dr. Virani has been presenting his work regularly at the annual sessions of the American College of Cardiology, American Heart Association, and the National Lipid Association. He has been the finalist in several young investigator research forums, and recently, has also been a guest speaker at the American College of Cardiology Scientific Session 2008, where he discussed guidelines and controversies regarding perioperative statin use.
Clinical Research Interests:
Dr. Virani’s clinical interests include primary prevention as well as secondary prevention of cardiovascular diseases using evidence-based practices. His clinical practice includes evaluating patients with complex lipid disorders at the Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention at Baylor College of Medicine along with being a staff Cardiologist at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center.
- Shah BH, Safdar B, Virani SS, Nawaz Z, Saeed SA, Gilani AH. The antiplatelet aggregatory activity of Acacia nilotica is due to blockade of calcium influx through membrane calcium channels. Gen Pharmacol 1997;29:251-255.
- Shah BH, Nawaz Z, Virani SS, Ali IQ, Saeed SA, Gilani AH. The inhibitory effect of cinchonine on human platelet aggregation due to blockade of calcium influx. Biochem Pharmacol 1998;56:955-960.
- Ferreira AC, Peter AA, Mendez AJ, Jimenez JJ, Mauro LM, Chirinos JA, Ghany R, Virani S, Garcia S, Horstman LL, Purow J, Jy W, Ahn YS, de Marchena E. Postprandial hypertriglyceridemia increases circulating levels of endothelial cell microparticles. Circulation 2004;110:3599-3603.
- Chirinos JA, Zambrano JP, Virani SS, Jimenez JJ, Jy W, Ahn E, Horstman LL, Castellanos A, Myerburg RJ, Ahn YS. Correlation between apoptotic endothelial microparticles and serum interleukin-6 and C-reactive protein in healthy men. Am J Cardiol 2005;95:1258-1260.
- Virani SS, Lombardi P, Tehrani H, Masroor S, Yassin S, Salerno T, Bolooki H, Katariya K. Off-pump coronary artery grafting in patients with left main coronary artery disease. J Card Surg 2005;20:537-541.
- Virani SS, Mendoza CE, Ferreira AC, de Marchena E. Left main coronary artery stenosis: factors predicting cardiac events in patients awaiting coronary surgery. Tex Heart Inst J 2006;33:23-26.
- Virani SS, Nambi V. The role of lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 as a marker for atherosclerosis. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2007;9:97-103.
- Virani SS, Nambi V, Razavi M, Lee VV, Elayda M, Wilson JM, Ballantyne CM. Preoperative statin therapy is not associated with a decrease in the incidence of postoperative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. Am Heart J 2008;155:541-546.
- Virani SS, Nambi V, Lee VV, Elayda M, Reul RM, Wilson JM, Ballantyne CM. Does preoperative statin therapy improve outcomes in patients undergoing isolated cardiac valve surgery? Am J Cardiol 2008;102:1235-1239.
- Yang EY, Nambi V, Tang Z, Virani SS, Boerwinkle E, Hoogeveen RC, Astor BC, Mosley TH, Coresh J, Chambless L, Ballantyne CM. Clinical implications of JUPITER (Justification for the Use of statins in Prevention: an Intervention Trial Evaluating Rosuvastatin) in a U.S. population insights from the ARIC (Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities) study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009;54:2388-2395.