Huaizhu Wu, M.D.
Basic Research Interests:
My research interest is the role of inflammation associated with dyslipidemia and obesity in the development of atherosclerosis and diabetes. Using CD11/CD18-deficient hyperlipidemic mouse model, along with in vitro or ex vivo studies, we study the involvement of CD11/CD18 integrins in atherosclerosis development, including the role of CD11/CD18 in leukocyte-leukocyte, and leukocyte-endothelial cell interaction, and the potential involvement of CD11/CD18 in modified-LDL uptake by monocytes/macrophages, a critical step in atherosclerosis development. Studies on inflammation in obesity include chemokine expression, leukocyte (T cell, macrophage) accumulation in adipose tissue, systemic leukocyte activation and their roles in obesity-related disease including atherosclerosis and diabetes.
Clinical Research Interests:
I am involved in some research related to inflammation in human obesity with human specimens such as adipose tissue, leukocytes and plasma, in the hope of identifying critical inflammatory markers that link obesity with obesity-related disease including diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Wu H, Ghosh S, Perrard XD, Feng L, Garcia GE, Perrard JL, Sweeney JF, Peterson LE, Chan L, Smith CW, Ballantyne CM. T-cell accumulation and regulated on activation, normal T cell expressed and secreted upregulation in adipose tissue in obesity. Circulation 2007;115:1029-1038.
- Wu H, Perrard XYD, Feng L, Garcia GE, Sweeney JF, Chan L, Smith CW, Ballantyne CM. Up-regulation of MCP-1 in obesity induced by a high-fat diet is associated with an increase in CD11b/CD11c-positive leukocytes. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. (submitted)
- Ma R, Wu H, Anthony K, Nguyen T, Liu L, Choi H, Tao Z, Dong JF. Recombinant ADAMTS-13 improves survival of mice with endotoxemia. Blood (submitted)
- Wu H, Wang H, Perrard JL, Perrard XY, Abe Y, Burns AR, Rodgers JR, Bullard DC, Smith CW, Ballantyne CM. Deficiency of CD11c results in reduced atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-null mice. (manuscript in preparation)
- Vasudevan AR, Wu H, Xydakis AM, Jones PH, Smith EO, Sweeney JF, Corry DB, Ballantyne CM. Eotaxin and obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006;91:256-261.
- Wu H, Rodgers JR, Perrard XY, Perrard JL, Prince JE, Abe Y, Davis BK, Dietsch G, Smith CW, Ballantyne CM. Deficiency of CD11b or CD11d results in reduced staphylococcal enterotoxin-induced T cell response and T cell phenotypic changes. J Immunol 2004;173:297-306.
- Wu H, Prince JE, Brayton CF, Shah C, Zeve D, Gregory SH, Smith CW, Ballantyne CM. Host resistance of CD18 knockout mice against systemic infection with Listeria monocytogenes. Infect Immun 2003;71:5986-5993.