Vijay Nambi, M.D.
- Assistant Professor
- Staff cardiologist, Ben Taub Hospital
Clinical Research Interests:
Dr. Nambi's clinical research interests are in the prevention of cardiovascular disease and include the use of biomarkers and imaging in risk prediction and management of these patients with specific interests in peripheral and multi-bed atherosclerotic disease. DR Nambi will be studying patients with peripheral and multi-bed atherosclerotic disease to find novel biomarkers such as those associated with inflammation which may potentially help in better risk prediction and hence management of these patients. In addition he is interested in the use of ultrasound imaging for the evaluation of atherosclerosis with the help of initmal medial thickness and other novel ultrasound based imaging techniques. He will also be working on studies that use novel pharmacologic interventions in the management of atherosclerosis and focus on studies that utilize imaging for the assessment and evaluation of the same.
- Nambi V, Ballantyne CM. Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2: pathogenic mechanisms and clinical utility for predicting cardiovascular events. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2006;8:374-381.
- Nambi V, Ballantyne CM. Fat, fit, and leading the charge: the evolution of measuring high-density lipoprotein subpopulations. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2005;25:2013-2015.
- Nambi V. The use of myeloperoxidase as a risk marker for atherosclerosis. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2005;7:127-131.
- Brennan ML, Penn MS, Van Lente F, Nambi V, Shishehbor MH, Aviles RJ, Goormastic M, Pepoy ML, McErlean ES, Topol EJ, Nissen SE, Hazen SL. Prognostic value of myeloperoxidase in patients with chest pain. N Engl J Med 2003;349:1595-1604.
- Ballantyne CM, Nambi V. Apolipoprotein A-I and high-density lipoprotein: is this the beginning of the era of noninvasive angioplasty? J Am Coll Cardiol 2004;44:1436-1438.
- Frolkis JP, Pearce GL, Nambi V, Minor S, Sprecher DL. Statins do not meet expectations for lowering low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels when used in clinical practice. Am J Med 2002;113:625-629.
- Nambi V, Buergler JM, Lakkis NM, Franklin J, Spencer WH 3rd, Nagueh SF. Effectiveness of percutaneous intervention for patients with obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol 2005;96:580-581.
- Ballantyne CM, Nambi V. Markers of inflammation and their clinical significance. Atheroscler Suppl 2005;6:21-29.
- Kalahasti V, Nambi V, Martin DO, Lam CT, Yamada D, Wilkoff BL, Niebauer MJ, Jaeger FJ, Tchou PJ, Chung MK. QRS duration and prediction of mortality in patients undergoing risk stratification for ventricular arrhythmias. Am J Cardiol 2003;92:798-803.
- Nambi V, Ballantyne CM. Utility of statin therapy using high-sensitivity C-reactive protein as an indicator of coronary heart disease risk. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2005;7:22-28.