John W. Gaubatz, M.S.
Instructor of Medicine
Basic and Clinical Research Interests:
My research interests broadly include lipoprotein metabolism related to structure/function relationships. This has focused on the identification and characterization of dense, electronegative low-density lipoprotein (LDL) subfractions in human normolipidemic plasma. Non-esterified fatty acids (NEFA) were identified as one of the primary components directly responsible for the increased electronegative charge. Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 (Lp-PLA2) was highly enriched in the small, dense LDL subfractions. Lp-PLA2 has been implicated in inflammation and serves as a marker of atherosclerosis. Further studies on the mechanism of the association and binding of Lp-PLA2 to these dense, electronegative LDL subfractions and the influence of such factors as NEFA content, particle size, and electronegativity are of interest to our laboratory. Preliminary studies have also demonstrated marked differences in the correlation of mass and activity of Lp-PLA2 bound to these subfractions. The detailed quantitation of Lp-PLA2 mass and activity in subfractions of LDL and HDL and their correlation is also of interest in future studies. Most recently, we have studied the relationship between circulating levels of matrix metalloproteinases and TIMP-1 with carotid artery characteristics as measured by MRI in the ARIC cohort.
- Gaubatz JW, Gillard BK, Massey JB, Hoogeveen RC, Huang M, Lloyd EE, Raya JL, Yang CY, Pownall HJ. Dynamics of dense electronegative low density lipoproteins and their preferential association of lipoprotein phospholipase A(2). J Lipid Res 2007;48:348-357.
- Yang CY, Chen HH, Huang MT, Raya JL, Yang JH, Chen CH, Gaubatz JW, Pownall HJ, Taylor AA, Ballantyne CM, Jenniskens FA, Smith CV. Pro-apoptotic low-density lipoprotein subfractions in type II diabetes. Atherosclerosis 2006.
- Chen HH, Hosken BD, Huang M, Gaubatz JW, Myers CL, Macfarlane RD, Pownall HJ, Yang CY. Electronegative LDLs from familial hypercholesterolemic patients are physicochemically heterogeneous but uniformly proapoptotic. J Lipid Res 2007;48:177-184.
- Liao D, Tan H, Hui R, Li Z, Jiang X, Gaubatz J, Yang F, Durante W, Chan L, Schafer AI, Pownall HJ, Yang X, Wang H. Hyperhomocysteinemia decreases circulating high-density lipoprotein by inhibiting apolipoprotein A-I Protein synthesis and enhancing HDL cholesterol clearance. Circ Res 2006;99:598-606.
- Lloyd EE, Gaubatz JW, Burns AR, Pownall HJ. Sustained elevations in NEFA induce cyclooxygenase-2 activity and potentiate THP-1 macrophage foam cell formation. Atherosclerosis 2006.
- Thakker GD, Frangogiannis NG, Bujak M, Zymek P, Gaubatz JW, Reddy AK, Taffet G, Michael LH, Entman ML, Ballantyne CM. Effects of diet-induced obesity on inflammation and remodeling after myocardial infarction. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2006;291:H2504-H2514.
- Sekhar RV, Jahoor F, Pownall HJ, Rehman K, Gaubatz J, Iyer D, Balasubramanyam A. Severely dysregulated disposal of postprandial triacylglycerols exacerbates hypertriacylglycerolemia in HIV lipodystrophy syndrome. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;81:1405-1410.
- Gillard BK, Chen YS, Gaubatz JW, Massey JB, Pownall HJ. Plasma factors required for human apolipoprotein A-II dimerization. Biochemistry 2005;44:471-479.
- Wang H, Jiang X, Yang F, Gaubatz JW, Ma L, Magera MJ, Yang X, Berger PB, Durante W, Pownall HJ, Schafer AI. Related Articles, Links Hyperhomocysteinemia accelerates atherosclerosis in cystathionine beta-synthase and apolipoprotein E double knock-out mice with and without dietary perturbation. Blood 2003;101:3901-3907.
- Gaubatz JW, Hoogeveen RC, Hoffman AS, Ghazzaly KG, Pownall HJ, Guevara J Jr, Koschinsky ML, Morrisett JD. Isolation, quantitation, and characterization of a stable complex formed by Lp[a] binding to triglyceride-rich lipoproteins. J Lipid Res 2001;42:2058-2068.