Residency Program - Longitudinal Curriculum
There are several key components of our curriculum that begin in the intern year and carry forward until graduation.
- Practice Learning Teams: Beginning in the 1st year of residency, Thursday Morning sessions with the Assistant Program Director, Dr. Warwick and other faculty to discuss a variety of topics as well our current Patient-Centered Medical Home grant and active research projects
- Geriatrics Nursing Home Visits: Beginning in the 2nd year of residency, held at St. Dominic’s Nursing Home. Residents will participate in bedside rounds with Dr. Julia Reyser and see and write notes on 1-2 patients once-a- month (depending on the rotation).
- Home Visits: Beginning in the 2nd year of residency, each resident will complete a total of 6 home visits prior to graduation; this is in addition to the home visits residents do with the Geriatrics attendings.
- CORE Lectures: Didactics held each Thursday afternoon at Ben Taub General Hospital that cover a wide array of topics to include: key lectures in diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions, behavioral health, practice management, billing & coding, sports medicine, inpatient medicine topics and cases, hospital care conference and more
- Journal Club: Embedded Into CORE lectures; 3rd Thursday of each month from 5-6 p.m.; given by a rotation of residents
- Grand Rounds: Organized by the department chair and held at the Kirby Clinic the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 6-7 p.m.
Other Key Features of Our Residency
- Prior to beginning residency and during intern orientation, all interns will become BLS and ACLS-certified
- In August of each year, interns will attend the Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO) Course for certification
- Continuing Medical Education (CME): For all PGY-2 and PGY-3’s, we allocate $500 and/or five days of CME
- Four Elective Months: Type and location of electives is based on funding; sample electives include: International Medicine Elective to Honduras with Dr. Parkerson, Pediatric Endocrinology, Adolescent Medicine , Procedures Clinic, Pain Management, Gynecology-Oncology and many others