The Baylor College of Medicine Environmental Health Service has been involved with educating health care professionals (and aspiring professionals) about the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of environmentally induced or exacerbated illness for more than ten years. Selected activities include:
The Baylor EHS has been the lead organizer of a number of symposia offering continuing education credit:
- Hurricane Harvey Two Years After: A Symposium, 2019.
- Environmental Health Is a VERB! Building Healthy Children, 2007.
- Pediatric Environmental Health: Putting It Into Practice, 2005.
- Gulf Coast Pediatric Environmental Health Symposium, 2004.
- Environmental Health in Our Neighborhoods: Speaking Out About Pollution & Health, 2001.
Baylor EHS faculty have taught the following courses:
- Environmental Health Primer for Graduating Medical Students
- Geomedicine: The Fundamentals of Health and Place
- Environmental Health Module in the Baylor Determinants, Disparities, and Social/Population Health (DDASH) Foundation Sciences Course
- Baylor National School for Tropical Medicine Environmental Module
- Environmental Health Course at Rice University and Virginia Commonwealth University
Selected presentations for health care professionals include:
- Bruhl RJ. The Houston Integrated Intervention Targeting Better Asthma Control (HIITBAC): Program Evaluation Metrics. Green and Healthy Home’s Environmental Management & Health Outcomes Metrics for Evaluation (EMHOME) Workgroup Webinar, September 2019.
- Oluyomi AO. Houston3H Study: Geospatial Considerations and Ambient Pollution Concerns, Hurricane Harvey 2 Years After: A Symposium, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, August 2019.
- Hamilton WJ. Environmental Exposures and Health Status Before and After Hurricane Harvey in a Cohort of Poorly Controlled Asthmatics: Preliminary Findings, Hurricane Harvey 2 Years After: A Symposium, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, August 2019.
- Nguyen Q, Children’s Environmental Health (audience: teachers of the Ryan Academy, BCM’s STEM magnet middle school), Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, August 2019.
- Oluyomi AO. From Precision Medicine to Planetary Health: The Built Environment Deserves More Attention. Research Seminar Series, Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, School of Public Health. University of Washington, Seattle, WA, June 2019.
- Hamilton WJ. Did You Prescribe a Spacer? Findings from a Recent Clinical Trial of Houston-Area African-American Adults with Asthma. Grand Rounds, Section of General Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, March 2019.
- Oluyomi AO. Hurricane Harvey Rapid Health and Environmental Assessment Study: Preliminary Results. Grand Rounds, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, January 2019.
- Bruhl RJ, Hamilton WJ. Environmental Exposures and Asthma: Selected Local Research. Town Hall Meeting on Asthma, United Way, Houston, TX, May 2018.
- Houston Community and Environmental Health Bus Tour: The Role of Place in Children's Health, Texas Pediatric Society Annual Meeting, 2015
- Lessons Learned in the Creation of Houston's First Environmental Health Clinical Service - American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, 2014
- Effective Evidence-Based Interventions to Improve Asthma Control and Quality of Life in African-American Adults, Ben Taub Hospital - General Internal Medicine CME Series, 2014