Steven J. Ludtke, Ph.D.
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Co-Director, National Center for Macromolecular Imaging
- B.S., Physics, Caltech (1990)
- M.A., Physics, Rice University (1993)
- Ph.D., Physics, Rice University (1996)
- Burton Medal by the Microscopy Society of America, 2008
My work primarily focuses on electron cryomicroscopy and its application to important problems in structural biology. I am interested in a wide range of techniques in this field, including: single particle reconstruction, tomography and single particle tomography. Single particle reconstruction is my primary focus, and my major contribution to the field is the development of EMAN, a software suite for processing images of individual molecules and producing 3D structures at subnanometer resolution. In addition to methods development we also apply these techniques to a wide range of important biological targets, including chaperonins, large ion channels, LDL/HDL and a wide range of other targets.
My broader interests include all aspects of scientific image processing, development of ontology-based scientific databases, Grid (and other massively parallel) computational techniques, scientific visualization and animation and various aspects of the protein folding problem.
- Ludtke SJ, Lawson CL, Kleywegt GJ, Berman H, Chiu W. The 2010 cryo-em modeling challenge. Biopolymers. 2012 Sep;97(9):651-4.
- Baker MR, Rees I, Ludtke SJ, Chiu W, Baker ML. Constructing and validating initial Cα models from subnanometer resolution density maps with pathwalking. Structure. 2012 Mar 7;20(3):450-63.
- Cong Y, Schröder GF, Meyer AS, Jakana J, Ma B, Dougherty MT, Schmid MF, Reissmann S, Levitt M, Ludtke SL, Frydman J, Chiu W. Symmetry-free cryo-EM structures of the chaperonin TRiC along its ATPase-driven conformational cycle. EMBO J. 2011 Nov 1;31(3):720-30.
- Ludtke SJ, Tran TP, Ngo QT, Moiseenkova-Bell VY, Chiu W, Serysheva II. Flexible architecture of IP3R1 by Cryo-EM. Structure. 2011 Aug 10;19(8):1192-9.
- Ludtke SJ, Lawson CL, Kleywegt GJ, Berman HM, Chiu W. Workshop on the validation and modeling of electron cryo-microscopy structures of biological nanomachines - Workshop Introduction. Pac Symp Biocomput. 2011:369-73.
- Cong Y, Ludtke SJ. Single particle analysis at high resolution. Methods Enzymol. 2010;482:211-35.
- Baker ML, Zhang J, Ludtke SJ, Chiu W. Cryo-EM of macromolecular assemblies at near-atomic resolution. Nat Protoc. 2010 Sep;5(10):1697-708.
- Ludtke SJ. 3-D structures of macromolecules using single-particle analysis in EMAN. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;673:157-73.
- Cong Y, Baker ML, Jakana J, Woolford D, Miller EJ, Reissmann S, Kumar RN, Redding-Johanson AM, Batth TS, Mukhopadhyay A, Ludtke SJ, Frydman J, Chiu W. 4.0-A resolution cryo-EM structure of the mammalian chaperonin TRiC/CCT reveals its unique subunit arrangement. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Mar 16;107(11):4967-72.
- Zhang J, Baker ML, Schröder GF, Douglas NR, Reissmann S, Jakana J, Dougherty M, Fu CJ, Levitt M, Ludtke SJ, Frydman J, Chiu W. Mechanism of folding chamber closure in a group II chaperonin. Nature. 2010 Jan 21;463(7279):379-83.