Florante A. Quiocho, Ph.D.
Charles C. Bell Professor, Structural Biology
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics
- Ph.D., Biochemistry, 1966, Yale University
Structural Biophysics and Biology: X-Ray Crystallography of Proteins
Three-dimensional structures of biological macromolecules lie at the very core of understanding, at the atomic level, biological and biochemical processes. Our research interest is centered on the study of the three-dimensional structure and function of proteins and enzymes at atomic resolution. Although x-ray crystallography is the primary experimental approach to achieve this goal, other correlative studies employing biochemical, physical-chemical, and recombinant DNA techniques are also being pursued. The proteins under investigation cover the areas of signal transduction and cellular regulation, active transport, ligand and drug molecular recognition and vesicular trafficking and membrane fusion.
Sec15 is a component of the exocyst complex involved in vesicle transport and localization. It recognizes vesicles associated with Rab GTPases. The C-terminal helical domain of Drosophila Sec15 (left, x-ray structure) interacts with Rab11 in a GTP-dependent manner, co-localizes with this Rab GTPase in specialized structures within the fly eye called rhabdomeres (right, cover), and is important for rhabdomere morphology. Wu, S., Mehta, S.Q., Pichaud, F., Bellen, H.J. & Quiocho, F.A. Nature Struct. Molec. Biol. 12, 879-885 (2005).
- Vyas NK, Nickitenko A, Rastogi VK, Shah SS, Quiocho FA. Structural insights into the dual activities of the nerve agent degrading organophosphate anhydrolase/prolidase. Biochemistry. 2010 Jan 26;49(3):547-59. [PubMed]
- Fallon JL, Baker MR, Xiong L, Loy RE, Yang G, Dirksen RT, Hamilton SL, Quiocho FA. Crystal structure of dimeric cardiac L-type calcium channel regulatory domains bridged by Ca2+* calmodulins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Mar 31;106(13):5135-40. [PubMed]
- Moure CM, Gimble FS, Quiocho FA. Crystal structures of I-SceI complexed to nicked DNA substrates: snapshots of intermediates along the DNA cleavage reaction pathway. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008 Jun;36(10):3287-96. [PubMed]
- Zhang W, Wang D, Volk E, Bellen HJ, Hiesinger PR, Quiocho FA. V-ATPase V0 sector subunit a1 in neurons is a target of calmodulin. J Biol Chem. 2008 Jan 4;283(1):294-300. [PubMed]
- Huang K, Ferrin-O'Connell I, Zhang W, Leonard GA, O'Shea EK, Quiocho FA. Structure of the Pho85-Pho80 CDK-cyclin complex of the phosphate-responsive signal transduction pathway. Mol Cell. 2007 Nov 30;28(4):614-23. [PubMed]
- Oldham ML, Khare D, Quiocho FA, Davidson AL, Chen J. Crystal structure of a catalytic intermediate of the maltose transporter. Nature. 2007 Nov 22;450(7169):515-21. [PubMed]
- Moure CM, Bowman BR, Gershon PD, Quiocho FA. Crystal structures of the vaccinia virus polyadenylate polymerase heterodimer: insights into ATP selectivity and processivity. Mol Cell. 2006 May 5;22(3):339-49. [PubMed]
- Bowman BR, Moure CM, Kirtane BM, Welschhans RL, Tominaga K, Pereira-Smith OM, Quiocho FA. Multipurpose MRG domain involved in cell senescence and proliferation exhibits structural homology to a DNA-interacting domain. Structure. 2006 Jan;14(1):151-8. [PubMed]
- Fallon JL, Halling DB, Hamilton SL, Quiocho FA. Structure of calmodulin bound to the hydrophobic IQ domain of the cardiac Ca(v)1.2 calcium channel. Structure. 2005 Dec;13(12):1881-6. [PubMed]
- Wu S, Mehta SQ, Pichaud F, Bellen HJ, Quiocho FA. Sec15 interacts with Rab11 via a novel domain and affects Rab11 localization in vivo. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005 Oct;12(10):879-85. [PubMed]