The Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy partners with Houston Methodist to offer the 5-day Intensive Bioethics Course in the Texas Medical Center. The Intensive Bioethics Course hosts participants from all over the country who come from various backgrounds including chaplaincy, clinical case management, clinical ethics, internal medicine, nursing, palliative medicine, pediatrics, risk management, and social work.
The course is productive, engaging, and covers fundamental bioethics topics and advanced clinical ethics skills.
The Bioethics Intensive Course provides a take home skill-set and strategies to address common ethical problems and dilemmas in medicine. Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to do the following:
- Identify five (or more) common ethical challenges or topics arising in patient care
- Develop ethically reasoned and practical strategies for addressing these ethical challenges
- Identify five (or more) approaches or strategies for navigating complex cases, including tips on mediation and facilitating family meetings
- Identify the procedural elements that every ethics consultant should undertake as part of his or her routine consultative activities for most (if not all) ethics consultations
What Previous Students are Saying:
- "The course delivered everything we expected and more"
- "Impressive credentials of faculty and speakers"
- "Information was comprehensive and exactly what I needed"
- "The breadth, expertise of speakers, energy of delivery, and attention to the needs and hopes of participants resulted in an outstanding conference"
Direct Impact and Successful Outcomes:
- 100 percent of surveyed participants said they will change their practice as a direct result of the course
- On a scale of 1 to 5, scored 4.8 on overall course quality from participants surveyed
- On a scale of 1 to 5, scored 4.7 on fulfillment of the stated learning objectives