Arianna Huffington Offers Words of Wisdom on HCOA's 30th Anniversary
The Huffington Center on Aging at Baylor College of Medicine celebrated its 30th anniversary Oct. 17 with a special address from author and digital news visionary Arianna Huffington.
- Staying hydrated is key for elder adults this summerJun 22, 2017
- As temperatures continue to rise, the risk of heat exhaustion, heat stroke and dehydration also increase among adults 65 years of age and older.
- Gut bacteria might one day help slow down aging processJun 15, 2017
- Slowing down the aging process might be possible one day with supplements derived from gut bacteria.
- Tips help seniors prepare for natural disastersJun 8, 2017
- Dr. Angela Catic says having medical information readily available is key to being prepared for a hurricane, especially for elder adults who may live alone or with a caregiver.
- Weight loss, exercise can reduce frailty in obese older adultsMay 17, 2017
- Researchers find that weight loss plus combined aerobic and resistance training provided greater improvement in physical function and reduction of frailty in older obese adults.
- ‘Silent seizures’ found in patients with Alzheimer’s diseaseMay 1, 2017
- Discovery of ‘Silent seizures’ provides a better understanding of Alzheimer’s disease and can potentially lead to new treatments.
- Age isn’t only reason hair starts to go grayFeb 16, 2017
- Although the thought of aging and going gray may be daunting, Dr. Rajani Katta says there are several factors that play a role in developing gray hair.
- Older adults advised to make smart sexual health choicesFeb 9, 2017
- STDs can have a significant impact on the health of elders because they are often diagnosed late due to lack of frequent screening.
- Study shows link between Hepatitis C virus, multiple cancersJan 26, 2017
- Dr. Jennifer Kramer and colleagues examine the link between HCV and other cancers within the U.S. elderly population.
- Quick test helps identify frailty in bedbound elderlyDec 15, 2016
- For older adults who are hospitalized for ground-level falls, their level of frailty can be an important indicator of adverse health outcomes upon discharge.
- Adult children should pay closer attention to elderly parents during holiday visits Dec 14, 2016
- The holidays are a practical time to check on mom and dad’s health and perhaps schedule much needed doctor appointments, according to Dr. Robert Roush, professor of medicine-geriatrics.
HCOA Development Board Celebration and Plaque Dedication
The Huffington Center on Aging recognizes its Development Board members as they continue their commitment and dedication to the Center as Huffington Center as Lifetime Ambassadors. View photos from the event below.