BCM-BRITE 2023 Biotechnology Research Teacher’s Training Workshop
(Check back in spring 2023 for application information)
BCM-BRITE 2022 Biotechnology Research Teacher’s Training Workshop
Workshop Date: July 1- 15, 2022
View workshop flyer.
Shixia Huang, Ph.D.
Phone: (713) 798-8722
Katherine Harris, B.S.
Fred A Pereira, Ph.D.
Teachers foster critical-thinking and problem-based solving skills and ultimately have the power to unlock the student’s passions for science and innovation in Science Technology Engineering, Mathematics, and Medicine (STEMM) education. In order to empower teachers to educate the next-generation thinkers and problem solvers in secondary school, we established the BCM-BRITE program to train science teachers in foundational scientific research approaches. In this program, the teachers are exposed to authentic, cutting-edge biotechnologies and mentored by research scientists and STEMM specialists to translate their workshop experiences into direct collaborative, problem-based learning classroom experiences for their students.
- The BCM-BRITE program is a professional development experience for passionate educators.
- Middle or high school teachers are paired with scientists and immersed in a real-world research experience, translating into high-quality classroom experiences for their students and sustaining STEMM (Science Technology Engineering, Mathematics, and Medicine) education.
- This workshop covers basic knowledge of cell biology, cancer biology, cancer genomics, and biotechnology approaches to present an authentic picture of how scientists investigate cancers and potential treatments.
- To improve the quality of STEMM education in middle and high schools by providing science teachers with an intensive two-week, hands-on, and hypothesis-driven research opportunity and professional development.
- To empower and enhance science teachers’ understanding of the collaborative learning involved in hypothesis-driven research and cutting-edge biotechnology literacy in STEMM.
- To facilitate daily mentorship of teachers in developing a lesson plan for their grades.
- To support the teachers with scientist mentor visits to their classrooms and career fairs to share careers in STEMM and scientific exploration.
- To enhance each teacher’s success in facilitating their students’ STEMM education with 1-year follow-up lesson review of lesson plans.
Module 1: Biotechnology and Research Seminars and Discussions
- Session 1. Program Overview and Advanced Technology Cores at BCM by Shixia Huang
- Session 2. Cancer biology and genomics & proteomics by Fred Pereira
- Session 3. Breast cancer & targeted therapy by Rachel Schiff
- Session 4. Proteomics technology and cancer research by Shixia Huang
- Session 5. Recombinant protein expression for protein function study by Yingmin Zhu
- Session 6. Neuroscience and Brain Cancer: PIK3CA Variants Selectively Initiate Brain Hyperactivity during Gliomagenesis by Kwanha Yu
- Session 7. Big Data and Multiomic Analysis by Cristian Coarfa
Module 2: Experimental Approaches and Laboratory Procedures – Hands-on Experiences
Provided by Antibody-based Proteomics (ABP) Core & Monoclonal Protein and Monoclonal Antibody Production Core
- Session 1. Project Design, Experimental Controls, & Note Taking by Jimmie Thomas
- Session 2. Research Project Design and Overview by Shixia Huang (ABP Core)
- Session 3. Cells & Cell Culture by Kurt Christensen (PMAP Core), and Zhongcheng Shi & Xuan Wang (ABP Core)
- Session 4. Tissue Lysate Protein Extraction & Protein Quantification by Zhongcheng Shi & Xuan Wang (ABP Core)
- Session 5. Western Blot Analyses by Xuan Wang & Zhongcheng Shi (ABP Core)
- Session 6. Reverse Phase Protein Array (RPPA) by Xuan Wang & Zhongcheng Shi (ABP Core)
- Session 7. RPPA Image Analyses & and Data Analyses by Zhongcheng Shi & Xuan Wan (ABP Core)
- Session 8. Recombinant Protein Expression in E. coli by Honglei Zhai & Yingmin Zhu (PMAP Core)
- Session 9. Recombinant Protein Purification by Honglei Zhai & Yingmin Zhu (PMAP Core)
- Session 10. Hands-on Training on Data Analyses and Public Data Mining by Zhongcheng Shi & Xuan Wang
Module 3: Literatures, Lesson Plans, and Presentations
- Session 1. Reading Scientific Literature & Thinking like a Scientist by Fred Pereira
- Session 2. Breast Cancer Experiences and Treatment Options by Titilola Adio
- Session 3. STEMM Lesson Plans by Katherine Harris
- Session 4. BioEd Online Platform by Katherine Harris & Dolores "Lollie" Garay
- Session 5. Final Presentation – Showcase Teachers’ Lesson Plans
Funded by Department of Education, Innovation, and Technology
Supported by Advanced Technology Cores
Scientists and STEMM specialists and their centers/departments.
BCM-BRITE 2022 Workshop Instructors, Scientist Mentors, and STEMM Specialists
- Shixia Huang, Ph.D.
- Katherine Harris, BS
- Fred Pereira Ph.D.
- Rachel Schiff, Ph.D.
- Cristian Coarfa, Ph.D.
- Yingmin Zhu, Ph.D.
- Zhongcheng Shi, Ph.D.
- Xuan Wang, Ph.D.
- Honglei Zhai, Ph.D.
- Jimmie Thomas, EdM
- Kurt Christensen, BA
- Kwanha Yu, Ph.D.
- Dolores "Lollie" Garay, MST
- Titilola Adio, M.D.