Space Health Institute adds astronauts, scientists to Scientific Advisory Board
In March of 2021, the Translational Research Institute for Space Health (TRISH) added seven outstanding thought leaders, including two female astronauts, to its Scientific Advisory Board that provides strategic guidance to the NASA-funded research institute.
TRISH leads a national effort in translating terrestrial research that can help guard human health in space exploration. As NASA prepares to go back to the Moon and SpaceX prepares to launch the first all-civilian crew to space in late 2021, our mission to keep all space travelers healthy is more vital than ever.
"We are at the cusp of space becoming more accessible to regular people. We are working toward safeguarding the health of all humans - - astronauts exploring deep space and people with pre-existing conditions that want to experience space for short periods. TRISH's diverse advisory board members will help us focus our resources on the most impactful health technology and science innovations," said Institute Director Dorit Donoviel, Ph.D.
"From pharma and industry leaders to retired astronauts, this board benefits from an incredible wealth of technical and practical experience and leadership," said Scientific Advisory Board Chair Lisa Suennen. "This is the right group to expand TRISH's reach and help us push on the boundaries of what we think we know about protecting the body and mind in space."
The newly appointed members are:
- Col. Catherine Coleman, Ph.D., is a former NASA Astronaut and the Global Explorer in Residence at Arizona State University and Research Affiliate at the MIT Media Lab.
- Asha Collins, Ph.D., is the US Country Head for Country Clinical Operations at Genentech.
- Armen Kherlopian, Ph.D., is a founding partner of BAJ Accelerator.
- Manish Kothari, Ph.D., is the President of SRI International.
- Nicole Stott, M.S., is a former NASA Astronaut and the Founding Director of the Space for Art Foundation.
- Matthew Wagoner, Ph.D., leads Investigative Toxicology at Takeda Pharmaceuticals.
- Brian Zambrowicz, Ph.D., is Senior Vice President of Regeneron Pharmaceuticals.
Scientific Advisory Board membership
Lisa Suennen, M.A.
Imran Alibhai, Ph.D.
Tvardi Therapeutics, Inc.
Susan Alpert, M.D., Ph.D.
SFA Consulting, LLC
Cady Coleman, Ph.D.
Astronaut (retired), Global Explorer in Residence at Arizona State University and Research Affiliate at the MIT Media Lab
Asha S. Collins, Ph.D.
Catherine M. Davis-Takas, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Therapeutics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
Seth Feuerstein, M.D., J.D.
Yale University Center for Biomedical and Interventional Technology
Armen Kherlopian, Ph.D.
Manish Kothari, Ph.D.
Daniel Lowenstein, M.D.
University of California San Francisco
Ted Smith, Ph.D.
University of Louisville School of Medicine
Annette L. Sobel, M.D., M.S.
Texas Tech University
Nicole Stott, M.S.
Astronaut (retired), Founding Director, Space for Art Foundation
Matthew Wagoner, Ph.D.
Brian Zambrowicz, Ph.D.