2020 Health Equity Research Summit
The 2020 Center of Excellence in Health Equity, Training and Research (COE) Summer Research Summit will be held Tuesday, June 9, 2020 on the Baylor College of Medicine main campus.
This conference is open to physicians and other healthcare professionals, residents and clinical fellows, biomedical scientists, students, and community members nationwide who are committed to workforce diversity in the health and biomedical sciences and bringing quality healthcare to underserved and under-represented populations in the United States.
Learning Objectives and Target Audience
The summit will help participants explore current topics in health equity research, education, clinical care, and outreach and offer an opportunity for connecting with allies and partners working the field of health equity and reducing health disparities. At the conclusion of this course, the participants should be able to:
- Summarize the effects of socioeconomic factors, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and other patient characteristics on health inequities and identify ways to mitigate them in your own practice or organization
- Apply course learnings to create a more welcoming healthcare environment and improve the delivery of culturally appropriate care for increasingly diverse patient populations
- Mobilize clinicians, researchers, trainees, and other allies to engage in policy, systems and environmental change activities in support of health equity
- Leverage partnerships and cross sector collaborations to advance health equity and identify best practices, methods and strategies to increase health equity in local communities
- Summarize policies and practices that have been shown to contribute to inclusive workplace environments, and enhance recruitment, advancement and retention underrepresented minorities in the healthcare workforce
- Develop and empower faculty, staff and trainees to support personal and organizational strategic goals related to diversity, inclusion and health equity
This program is intended for both Baylor College of Medicine and external audiences interested in advancing health equity and diversity and inclusion in healthcare including healthcare providers and trainees, biomedical scientists, social workers, nurses, individuals involved in talent acquisition and development such as hiring managers (HR professionals), supervisors, college and hospital affiliate leadership and administrators, and diversity and inclusion practitioners.
Accreditation/Credit Designation: Baylor College of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Baylor College of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 3.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.