About the Program
Saturday Morning Science Summer Research Reimagined 2021 is a robust, interactive virtual summer research program that will be available to all SMS students (including current SMS students and students who have previously participated in SMS). This interactive Summer Research Program will not only cover Intro to research basics (experimental design, lab safety, data analysis), but also will feature invited researchers from Baylor College of Medicine, a scientific journal club, small group interactions, and guided “hands-on” experiences. This program will not disappoint and will equip students with a subset of skills that will surely contribute to their future studies and careers! Students will receive a certificate if they successfully complete the program.
Once accepted into the program, students will receive a detailed schedule.
- All components of the program will be virtual
- Students will not receive a stipend for participation in this virtual Summer Research Program.
- The time commitment will likely be ~12-14 hours per week (spread across a number of days, with ~4-6 hours face to face virtual interactive activities and the remainder spent in self-guided activities).
- Because the program is virtual, there is flexibility with self-guided activities, but the virtual guided activities will have a fixed time. Recordings will be available if students are unable to attend, though live participation is encouraged due to the interactive nature of the program.
Online Registration for Virtual SMS Summer Research 2021 is Now Closed
In order to be considered for the Summer Research Program, you must submit all of the following in one application packet, no later than the deadline of June 25, 2021.
Registration is Closed.
Selected candidates will be notified of acceptance by June 30, 2021.
This year’s program will take place from the first week of July 2021 (week of July 5, 2021) through the middle of August (Aug. 14, 2021). Students must attend 75 percent of the sessions to receive credit for the program (estimated ~three two-hour sessions per week).
- Have participated in SMS in the past
- Currently be in 7th – 12th grade
- Be committed to attend and actively participate in a minimum of 75 percent of the sessions