National Diversity and Inclusion Week (Oct. 3 – 7)
At Baylor College of Medicine, one of our greatest strengths is our diversity, which comes in many forms including different ideas based on our backgrounds and life experiences. We are stronger because of that diversity. We recognize it and celebrate it throughout the year.
2022 Schedule of Events (All Events are Virtual)
- Oct. 4, 5 - 6:30 p.m., In celebration of LGBT History Month, the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, in collaboration with BCM Pride, will be offering a Compassionate Conversation to Address Social Injustice and Equity Series featuring a panel discussion on the topic of transgender and nonbinary healthcare and equity. CME credit will be offered. Registration.
- Oct. 5, Noon - 1 p.m., The Center of Excellence in Health Equity, Training and Research will offer a Health Equity Grand Rounds, featuring Marie Bernard, M.D., Chief Officer of Scientific Workforce Diversity, National Institutes of Health. Dr. Bernard will be discussing the importance of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB) in extramural research activities including the new NIH UNITE Initiative. CME credit will be offered. Registration.
- Oct. 6, Noon - 1 p.m., In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will host Jane Delgado, Ph.D., President and Chief Executive Officer, National Alliance for Hispanic Health. Dr. Delgado will be giving a talk entitled, "Beyond DEI — Best Health for All." Read Dr. Delgado's recent publication from The New England Journal of Medicine. Registration.
- Oct. 13, Noon – 1 p.m., The Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will host guest speaker John Paul Sánchez, M.D., MPH, from the LMSA Faculty Physician Advisory Council to discuss "Why Academia Needs LHS+ Identified Faculty and Leaders" and review the challenges to LHS+ inclusion, describe the LHS+ community in academic medicine and summarize the benefits of LHS+ inclusion in the medical and academic workforce. Registration.
- Oct. 10, Noon - 1 p.m., The Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will host the Second Annual Hispanic Heritage Month Poetry Reading featuring Hispanic and Latinx prose and poetry read by Baylor faculty, staff, trainees and students. Register for the poetry reading. If you'd like to read your poetry or the work of other poets, contact Dr. Kimberly Lopez, KL2@BCM.EDU
The Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion maintains the OUTList, an online directory and database for BCM LGBTQ+ students, staff, faculty, residents and postdocs. The directory helps promote engagement, networking and awareness. We invite Baylor staff, faculty, and trainees who identify as LGBTQ+ to join this directory.
Baylor COATS Community Service Opportunity
Baylor COATS (Community Outreach, Action, Training and Service) for Excellence and Equity is an institutional initiative comprised of Baylor faculty, staff, trainees and students who are committed to advancing our diversity, inclusion and equity goals.
Learn more about Baylor COATS. To register to participate in the Baylor COATS for Excellence and Equity program, email the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at email@example.com.