The Office of Institutional Diversity provides oversight for Baylor College of Medicine's diversity initiatives, activities and policies. See information about our diversity mission, vision and goals below.
Baylor College of Medicine Diversity Policy
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care.
- Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective.
- Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve.
- Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.
Institutional Diversity Mission
The Office of Institutional Diversity cultivates an environment of inclusion and diversity among the Baylor community.
Institutional Diversity Vision
To equip a healthcare and scientific workforce prepared to care for diverse populations locally and globally.
Institutional Diversity Goals
- Establish a centralized office for the oversight of diversity initiatives and activities.
- Develop and implement ongoing, systematic, and recruitment and retention activities, to attract and retain diverse students, trainees, faculty, and staff with focus on the following groups: Women, African Americans/Blacks, and Hispanics/Latinos.
- Partner with leaders within academic units to provide educational offerings to improve cultural competence and health equity within the healthcare and scientific environments.
- Foster a climate that possesses respect, integrity, inclusion and open dialogue between learners, faculty and staff.