Note: We will not have SMS Summer Research Reimagined this summer of 2023. Instead, we will have two dedicated research sessions for SMS Fall. Stay tuned for the application which we expect to post late August for SMS Fall 2023, which will begin in October.
Saturday Morning Science Summer Research Reimagined is a robust, interactive virtual summer research program that will be available to all SMS Students (including current SMS students, students who have previously participated in SMS, and students new to SMS). This interactive Summer Research Program will not only cover Intro to research basics (experimental design, lab safety, data analysis), but also will feature invited researchers from BCM and around the country, a scientific journal club, small group interactions, and guided “hands-on” virtual experiences. This program will not disappoint and will equip students with a subset of skills that will surely contribute to their future studies and careers! Students will receive a certificate if they successfully complete the program.
Once accepted into the program, students will receive a detailed schedule.
Program Key Points
- All components of the program will be virtual
- Students will not receive a stipend for participation in this virtual Summer Research Program.
- The time commitment will likely be ~8-12 hours per week (spread across a number of days, with ~4-6 hours face to face virtual interactive activities and the remainder spent in self-guided activities).
- Because the program is virtual, there is flexibility with self-guided activities but the virtual guided activities will have a fixed time. Recordings will be available if students are unable to attend, though live participation is encouraged due to the interactive nature of the program.
What are the dates of SMS Summer Research Reimagined 2023?
We will not have virtual SMS summer research Reimagined this summer. Instead, we will have two dedicated research sessions during SMS Fall 2023. Stay tuned for the application which we expect to be posted late August for SMS Fall 2023, which will begin in October.
What makes me eligible for the Summer Research Program?
- Be entering 6th grade – college freshman
- Be committed to attend and actively participate in a minimum of 75% of the sessions
For questions about the program or about the application process, contact SaturdayMorningScience@bcm.edu.